Here stood, from the early 19th century until the mid-1900s, the tavern and stagecoach stop first owned by Peter Hanger. In 1848 its second proprietor, Samuel Harnsbarger, planted a willow tree in a spring here, across the newly-constructed Valley Turnpike from the tollhouse. Spring water flowed up the trunk and out a spout driven in its side, falling into a wooden trough. For more than a century, three successive “willow spouts” provided water for thirsty travelers, horses, and automobiles.
- Address: 1528-1550 US-11, Fort Defiance, VA 24437, USA
- GPS: 38.2332793,-78.97890485
- Website: http://www.dhr.virginia.gov/hiway_markers/hwmarker_inf