Named for Joseph Martin, pioneer, who settled here in 1773. In 1793 the courthouse of Henry County was moved here and the town was established. Patrick Henry, for whom the county was named, lived near here once. In 1865, Stoneman, moving south to join Sherman, captured Martinsville. It was incorporated as a town in 1873 and as a city in 1929.
- Address: 6036 E Main St, Martinsville, VA 24112, USA
- GPS: 36.691842267,-79.8729054
- Website: http://www.dhr.virginia.gov/hiway_markers/hwmarker_inf