The Great Wagon Road from Philadelphia to the backcountry of the Carolinas crossed the Roanoke River here at Tosh’s Ford, named for Thomas Tosh, in the eighteenth century. Nearby stood Daniel Evans’s mill, another landmark on the road. A group of Moravians, among the many thousands of settlers who passed this way, crossed the ford at dawn on 2 Nov. 1783 en route from Bethlehem, Pa., to Bethabara, N.C. One wrote in his diary of the ford’s “slippery stones” and reported that “a quarter of a mile beyond we came to Even’s mill.” Mill Mountain is named for Evans’s mill.
- Address: 1924 US-220 BUS, Roanoke, VA 24014, USA
- GPS: 37.254652462,-79.950097788
- Website: http://www.dhr.virginia.gov/hiway_markers/hwmarker_inf